Putting our Heads Together

Putting our Heads Together
I don't think he sees me

Saturday, September 2, 2023

A Pirate Passes


 I woke this morning to find that on September 1, 2023, Jimmy Buffet at the age of 76 had died. He reportedly passed peacefully surrounded by family, friends, dogs, and music. I would be hard pressed to imagine someone who had not heard of Jimmy Buffet. He was a citizen of the world and he made us all citizens of Margaritaville.

One of his greatest hits collections was called Songs You Know by Heart, and we did. We knew the words to everyone of those songs. From Come Monday to Grapefruit - Juicy Fruit on that album, I knew all the words. And to the likely chagrin of whomever would be around me, I would sing along with each and every tune. I would sing along with Jimmy.

I couldn't even tell you what was the first song of his that I ever heard. Was it Margaritaville? Cheeseburger in Paradise? Son of a Sailor? I don't know. I know the first album I purchased of his was Son of a Sailor back when I was a college student. I am sure I bought several more in short order. And my favorite song of his? He went to Paris.

Jimmy Buffet was big on campus when I was at Clemson. I was lucky enough to be able to work with Clemson's Central Dance and Concert Committee and help set up the stage for Jimmy Buffet when he came to town. Before the show started, but after the audience was already in the building, I remember running across the stage and yelling out "Save the Whales". It was an act of joy brought on by just being at a Jimmy Buffet concert. My friend Eddie Pennebaker will remind me of that from time to time even to this day as we settle into our 60's.

Jimmy was a storyteller, and he did this through his music, his books, and between songs during his concerts. His songs were often joyous, and even those that weren't ventured toward the meditative but never sadness. Through his music, he made us wonder what it would be like to have a pencil thin mustache like Boston Blackie, he would make us nod in sympathy as he sang of stepping on a pop top, he made us crave cheeseburgers and margaritas. He had the seductive power of genuine smiles and relatable tales.

For me this is particularly true in his song Son of a Sailor. Hearing it, I cannot help but think of my father that brought sailing to his children. And from there my thoughts go to my little brother Greg. Captain Greg as he is often called. He caught our father's love of sailing much more deeply than the rest of us. He is now a sailor and a man of the sea by passion and profession. He conducts fishing and sailing charters, and has found a particular niche that I'm sure Jimmy Buffet would have approved of, Bachelorette Cruises. Throughout the Spring and Summer, he can often be found in the waters off of Folly Beach and Charleston with a boat full of young women who are drinking, having fun, and above all smiling. In his boating life, Greg is a bringer of smiles. This, I believe, Jimmy would have also approved of.

No matter the size of the audience, a Jimmy Buffet concert was a raucous yet intimate experience. He played venues of all sizes, comfortable whether he was in a stadium or had just popped into some local bar with his guitar in hand. He seemed infinitely approachable, like an old friend. I have no doubt he was. It is not difficult to imagine being outside under an umbrella with him, sharing a beer, and chatting about anything and everything beneath the hot tropical sun.

I will miss Jimmy Buffet, but I can't seem to mourn him. He was too full of life and energy to believe he won't be anything but in the world. And I guess he will be. His music, his stories will last forever. And besides, he will never be truly gone as long as there are margaritas and rum and an horizon for a pirate to chase.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larry. They were thoughts easy to come by.

      Delete
  2. Chills from the crowd reaction when Allen Jackson introduces Jimmy in "It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere, and why not. Hope you don't mind I've shared your words on Jimmy Buffett with my friends on Facebook. Godspeed Teever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ken. I appreciate it. Godspeed to you as well. And I love that "It's 5 o'clock somewhere."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your writing, Bumpa. A little peek into your big heart.

    ReplyDelete