Putting our Heads Together

Putting our Heads Together
I don't think he sees me

Friday, October 2, 2015

The Oregon Trail

At least ten dead, at least
More names added to the role
That is hundreds long
Oregon the current scene
But likely not the last
Not likely by a long shot
No pun intended

No place left to hide for me
No ignorance large enough to blanket
To offer shelter from the storm
Of random death amid our safe havens
Of schools
Of theaters
Of churches

The WHY grows larger
The HOW ever more obvious
The tears shed for strangers
That could have been family
Salty pools forming, growing,
Evaporating more and more swiftly
As tragedy numbs the collective heart

And I look for answers
Hell, I shout for answers
And cringe because they never change
Always emasculated gun control is called for
Always a call to arms is the response
Always nothing happens
As bodies are buried with no voice of their own

I see that we are only killing ourselves
Driven by numbness towards the visceral
Which constantly moves out of reach
Populating a private Golgotha
With unexpected saints
No nails required
Bullet ridden stigmata will suffice

No comments:

Post a Comment